Why do brownies make me automatically think of Sofia Vergara saying:
“Brownies for my brownie!”
An interesting and somewhat racist way to begin this blog post, huh? My bad. (If you know what movie that quote is from, be sure to leave it in the comments!)
I stumbled upon the idea for this post on Pinterest and had to try it since I put “make someone a homemade gift” on my Winter Bucket List. It was simple, inexpensive and EVERYONE loves brownies so it’ll definitely be both useful and appreciated. And the best part is that most of the items needed may already be in your kitchen!
- a medium measuring cup
- measuring spoons
- a funnel (optional, but recommended)
- 1 Quart Mason Jar
- decorating supplies of your choice: tags, ribbon, stickers, etc
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup of cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup of another type of chocolate chip (I used caramel, but white chocolate works fine too.)
- 1/3 cup of chopped nuts of your choice. (optional)
- Mix flour, salt, and baking powder together. Begin layering ingredients into the mason jar with a funnel (if necessary). Pour in half of flour/salt/baking powder mixture.
- Pour in cocoa powder.
- Pour in remaining flour/salt/baking powder mixture.
- Pour in brown sugar.
- Pour in white sugar.
- Pour in chocolate chips.
- Pour in other types of chocolate chip.
- Pour in nuts.
- Decorate and write bake instructions for the recipient.
It takes only a few minutes, and the mess is minimal if the flour doesn’t go everywhere like it did with me. I used a hot glue gun to attach ribbon and twine, and put the bake instructions on the back of the tag. Here they are:
“Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease one 9x9 baking pan. Pour contents into a large bowl and mix well. Stir in 1 teaspoon of vanilla, 2/3 cup of vegetable oil and 3 eggs. Beat until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 20-30 minutes. Let cool and enjoy! ” (Evermine.com)
What do you like in YOUR brownies? Let me know in the comment section below!